Cancer gene testing is performed by gene sequencing techniques, which analyze mutations in one or more genes. With advancements in modern technology, there are many modern gene sequencing methods making it easier to analyze and find mutant genes. As a result, the tests are fast and cost effective.
Cancer gene testing can be done on human tissue or blood samples.
Liquid biopsy test is considered to be a breakthrough for cancer patients. This test uses circulating tumor DNA (ctDNA) formed by releasing the tumor cells into the blood.
The ctDNA remains can be detected in the blood thanks to analyzing techniques of many prestigious international laboratories, consisting of the Guardant Health laboratory (USA), the most prominent of which is Guardant360.
CtDNA liquid biopsy is the taking of a blood sample to discover cells with certain characteristics, such as circulating tumor cells.
Because of its non-invasive nature, the biopsy method does not pose the surgical risks, unlike tissue biopsy.
The implementation of liquid biopsies in cancer offers many outstanding advantages such as:
- Conducted on blood samples and do not require painful, invasive, expensive procedures.
- Allow the surveillance of disease recurrence by performing periodic analysis of ctDNA levels as well as characteristics after the patient completes their treatment and enter a period of remission.
- For metastatic or advanced diseases, ctDNA liquid biopsy will provide insight how the tumor has grown, helping to change treatment strategies in a positive direction.
Guardant Health lab’s Guardant360 using proprietary Digital Sequencing technology identifies the signal of each variation in a patient’s genome, identifies point mutations, duplication, merger or loss/addition, vegetative mutations.
Compared with the tissue biopsy, the Guardant360 liquid biopsy test gains these following advantages:
- No surgical risks, no pain
- Survey DNA releasing from various tumors imto the blood
- Monitor the tumor growth over time
- Fully meet 74 genes needed to do the test
The Guardant360® assay is recommended for all patients with advanced cancer, solid tumors, either at the time of diagnosis or during disease progression.
Guardant360® is not suitable for:
- Patients with early stage cancer
- The condition is stable or responds to treatment
- Malignant blood cancer.
Before first-line treatment
At the time of first-line pre-treatment diagnosis, the doctor can use Guardant360® result to make treatment decisions without implementing a tissue biopsy.
At the time of disease progression
The Guardant360® test can suggest treatment options for patients with advanced cancer since the Guardant360® test can comprehensively analyze four types of mutation in 74 genes relevant to a variety of solid tumors including microsatellite instability- high (MSI-high).
The Guardant360® test is suitable for all the kinds of cancer with genetic mutations: breast, colorectal, ovarian, non-small cell lung cancer, pancreas, prostate, digestive, skin, thyroid, cancer unknown primary tumor…
Test for cancer gene mutations is now quite popular in Vietnam. You can opt for a gene sequencing service at any prestigious hospital or gene sequencing center with a variety of different service packages for your choice. Each will have their own different genetic testing technology. Hence, the service price is not the same ranging from a few millions to several tens of millions of VND. The test price list will change from time to time. For a detailed quotation on testing services, please contact CHEK Genomics immediately for our support and detailed quotation for each service package that fits your needs.
Both genetic cancer mutations or vegetative cancer mutations are the cause of dangerous cancers. The difference derives from the cause of the disease:
- The cause of genetic cancer mutations is created by genetic factors, patients inherit gene mutations from their grandparents and parents. Meaning, if you have a family member with cancer, you are more likely to get cancer more than the average person.
- The cause of vegetative cancer mutations is not because of genetic factors, but as the result of people’s living and eating habits.
Food and nutrition are among the risks of developing cancer. Some foods link to the development of certain types of cancer. Most cancers today are not caused by genetic factors. Because of the changes of DAN with cells transforming from normal cells to cancer cells. There is no single gene causing cancer, it is a multi-step process. Cancer keep spreading when some genes grow out of normal cells.
When carrying out tumor mutations test, you will see these following indicators:
- Tumor burden: refers to the level of tumor mutation
- MSI: Microsatellite Instability (MSI), this is a form of gene instability easily leading to gene mutations that cause colorectal cancer. The identification of MSI is very important to screen for Lynch syndrome, as well as to differentiate between colorectal cancer and deficient mismatch repair (dMMR). It provides valuable information for prognosis and individualized treatment progress.
After a period of treatment, the cancer cells are getting resistant to the targeted drugs. This problem occurs because of the following reasons:
- First, the targeted drug changes the mutation status, which makes the therapy is no longer effective.
- Second, the cancer cells themselves find new ways to make the tumor spread, regardless of the previously discovered “target”.
To improve this, it will take good combination of targeted therapies that affect different pathways of cancer formation and growth, or chemicals.
Targeted therapy is a type of cancer treatment, using drugs to target specific genes and proteins found in cancer cells relating to tumor growth. Some cancers require gene mutation test to help determine the patient’s compatibility with targeted therapy. If not suitable, the traditional chemotherapy or any suitable treatment will be used to stop tumor growth.
Hopefully, our above sharing about liquid biopsy test will bring the most useful information to users in the disease detection and treatment process. If you have any questions or concerns related to the service, please contact CHEK Genomics immediately for the fastest advice and support!